Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Matchstick Message #4: Random tones on speaker

fromTara Raffi
toStudent Information Requests
dateWed, Sep 29, 2010 at 2:12 PM
subjectMatchstick Message #4: Random tones on speaker








Dear RIM,


Fact #1: The BlackBerry has a speaker button. When you press it, the sound output is played louder than the default option that requires you to hold the phone to your ear.


Fact #2: Usually, when people make calls, they dial the number and hold the phone to their ear to hear the ring, and hopefully another person's voice.


Ridiculous BlackBerry Feature #294: when a call is unable to go through, the very annoying, abrasive "unable to place call tone" (do do doo!) plays on SPEAKER! Three times!


My question to RIM is WHY?! Do you play the dial rings on speaker? No. Do you play the first few seconds of a call on speaker? No. So this can't be used to alert a suddenly hard-of-hearing listener that their call cannot be placed. I admit, sometimes I'll make a call and then immediately forget, and walk holding the phone in my hand and hopefully the person will still be on the phone yelling "hello....helloo" by the time I remember... so I'm probably the only person that would ever need this feature. But even I don't want it.


In practice, you're usually in a public place when you make phone calls, maybe even a quiet public place, and you want to be able to control when and for how long your phone is on speaker. For example, if I'm in the library, and I want to check my voicemail, I can decide to make a discreet phone call. But if my service is bad? No such luck and then I become that rude person who insensitively uses their phone in the quiet room. And even if you hit End repeatedly, all three tones will play.


My message is this: RIM, please allow the person placing the call to determine the volume at which it projects its information into the surrounding environment.



Sincerely,



Tara Raffi

Discretion Enthusiast



P.S. This also applies to the speed dial tone. Similarly unnecessary.


--

No comments:

Post a Comment