Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Matchstick Message #13: Searched Messages Are Messages Too!

fromTara Raffi
toStudent Information Requests
dateWed, Nov 3, 2010 at 9:41 AM
subjectMatchstick Message #13: Searched Messages Are Messages Too!




Dear RIM,


I love search. Most people these days do, with all the information we're constantly processing and re-processing. Search is one characteristic that really makes Gmail and Apple computers stand out, for example. And I think the search feature on the BlackBerry is pretty strong actually, for the most part, because thanks to the very specific search fields, it comes up with what I need, and is reasonably fast.


But there are a few problems. I already discussed spell check in search in an earlier post, but another issue is that messages that a user finds during a search are lost once the user switches away from the email application.


For example, lets say I go into my email inbox and open the first email in sight. If I then exit my inbox by pressing End, go make a note in my MemoPad, and then come back to my inbox; the email I was looking at will still be in view. But if I make a SEARCH, and then select an email: if I exit the inbox and then come back to it, the email will not still be in view, and I will be taken back to the top of my email list! This is really annoying.


Sometimes, if I'm trying to do multiple things at once--like be on time for an interview appointment (they send you such long, detailed emails) while using Google Maps to find the office and making brief calls and text messages before my multi-hour departure from the world of communication--I have to search multiple times for the same email that keeps getting lost from my view.


Instead, the email that is selected should stay up until I hit the Back Arrow key, which should take me back to search results, and then it should stay on that screen until Back Arrow is hit again, taking me back to the top of my email inbox. This also avoids the other problem of running a search, selecting an email, and realizing it is the wrong one--at that point if you hit back you will be back to the main email screen and you will have to run the same search all over again.


RIM, please update Search so searched messages are treated like real messages, and kept on the screen until I exit them intentionally.



Sincerely,




Tara Raffi

Intention Enthusiast


--

No comments:

Post a Comment