Monday, November 1, 2010

Matchstick Message #12: Adding Email Contacts

fromTara Raffi
toStudent Information Requests
dateMon, Nov 1, 2010 at 7:42 AM
subjectMatchstick Message #12: Adding Email Contacts


Dear RIM,


Once, a few years ago, I made the mistake of "syncing" the address book from my Mac Mail application with my BlackBerry AddressBook. And let's just say, it was a disaster. For all of my contacts I had email addresses for, I now had TWO AddressBook entries--one with a phone number, and one with an email address. (And for those that say "But it allows you to choose which 'wins' on a conflict" all I have to say is that is ridiculous for them to even suggest that we should choose between phone numbers and email addresses.)


So there was a time that I suffered through typing into my phone "Elan Fre" and putting the phone to my ear, realizing seconds later that the reason I wasn't hearing a ring was that you can't call an email address. And when I want to talk to Elan, those second are wasted seconds.


There must be a number of ways to fix this. But I haven't thought of a solution to syncing, yet.


So, in the meantime, I can think of a easier way to get addresses of people you email into a consolidated contact entry. Right now, if you have your cursor over the address of somebody who just emailed you, elanfrenkel@gmail.com, and you hit menu, you will see the option Add to Contacts. If you select it, however, you will be faced with a new contact entry form. But I already have Elan in my phone!! I don't want two Elans again!!! So, there needs to be an option that allows you to either select an existing contact to add this email address to, or to make a new entry.


Even if the syncing problem is fixed, this will still be an efficient way to add additional information to existing contact entries without laboriously cutting and exiting and opening and selecting and scrolling and pasting.


RIM, though I am not normally a proponent of doing things manually, I really do need to have my email addressed in my contacts (especially if they aren't automatically remembered). So, in order to make it just minimally manual, instead of prohibitively manual, please allow email addresses to be added to existing contacts directly from an email message.



Sincerely,



Tara Raffi

Consolidation Enthusiast


--

No comments:

Post a Comment