Thursday, January 27, 2011

Matchstick Message #24: I know My Number

fromTara Raffi
toStudent Information Requests
dateThu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:37 AM
subjectMatchstick Message #24: I know My Number




Dear RIM,


OK so everybody has their moments of James Bond or Oceans 11 or Gossip Girl where it is a desperate matter--of national security or of hundreds of millions of dollars or of choosing between two beautiful and well-dressed college boys--to make sure the phone in our pocket is actually our own. Even though everybody falls for that trick of the look-alike phone slipped into your pocket by the seducter/ress in the movies, we shall never let it happen to ourselves.





And to that end, it is wonderful that every time we make a call we get to see "My Number: xxx xxx xxxx" on the right side of the screen. But honestly, and despite the many useful instances I listed above, it is just a waste of space.



For most of us, we don't need to see our own phone number on the call screen all the time. Maybe it could just flash at the beginning to verify our identity. Maybe it could be a setting. Maybe we should take it away altogether.








Yes so my suggestion is just to take it away altogether. This is especially logical because it shows "My Number" on the call log screen. So you can verify your identity without actually having to call somebody and pretending you pocket-dialed or just embarrassedly hang up. Also, here it is not as obtrusive.


This is the best of both worlds. We can avoid the danger of a stolen soul I mean phone, but without the waste of valuable screen real estate that is best left vacant.



Sincerely,




Tara Raffi

Vacancy Enthusiast


--

No comments:

Post a Comment