Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Matchstick Message #6: Editing contacts

fromTara Raffi
toStudent Information Requests
dateWed, Oct 6, 2010 at 9:58 PM
subjectMatchstick Message #6: Editing contacts





Dear RIM,


The problem I'm writing about today tripped me up for a while before I figured out what was going on. This is what happened: when I first got my BlackBerry, I would make a call to a new number, and then I could easily (after wading through the disorganized and unnecessarily long menu) add the contact information into my address book. But what about editing existing contacts?


Let's say I just got a call from "Sebastian Corporate Finance Lecture" and I want to edit this entry to reflect his correct name, "Sebastian Valmont". When in my call log and looking at the entry for his recent call, a parallel process to the one explained above (adding a new contact) would be to press menu and select "edit contact". Alas, this logical option does not exist on the BlackBerry. To edit a contact, even if it is right in front of you in the call log, you must first exit, go to the application menu, find Address Book, search for your contact, press menu again, then scroll to Edit. Why six steps, when it could be just two?


I would say that most people edit their contacts multiple times per week, for many different reasons, including, but not limited to:

1. Editing existing information

2. Adding a Pin number

3. Copying a contact number if somebody asks for it


We BlackBerry users are busy people, and have a lot of important things to think about, so saving us this hassle is worth more than just 6 seconds, it is worth valuable brain real estate. RIM, please add an "edit contact" option to the call log menu, especially if there are silly and much more rarely used options on that menu such as Set Ring Tone and Call From Contacts (when you can just press the designated call button!)



Sincerely,



Tara Raffi

Editing Enthusiast


--

No comments:

Post a Comment