Sunday, October 24, 2010

Matchstick Message #10: Texting could be easier


fromTara Raffi
toStudent Information Requests
dateSun, Oct 24, 2010 at 6:16 PM
subjectMatchstick Message #10: Texting could be easier





Dear RIM,


I've been sending a lot of texts lately. So it makes me think--if I could save a few seconds off each of my texts, and gain a little peace of mind, I think it could amount to an extra minute and a half extra in the shower, or the luxury of finishing that article about how Karzai receives bags of cash from Iran. Yes, "Dream Big" has always been my motto.


How can this be accomplished? Luckily, I have two ideas.


The first improvement is on how we select the recipient of our text message. For me, the personal nature of text messages mean that almost all of texts I send out go to one recipient. Or, if there is a need to text a specific group of people very often, a "contact group" serves as a single contact to enter into the To field. My point is, almost 100% of the time I enter a single contact when I compose a text message.


So, though it is nice that the "Select SMS Contact" box allows users to enter more than one contact at once, it probably isn't used that often. Therefore, it adds too many unnecessary steps. Instead of just entering "Noah Stern" and pressing Enter, I have to enter his name and press enter THREE TIMES to bypass that option. I just want to press enter once. We should just have "Add Additional Recipients" as a separate menu option like it used to be.


The second suggestion also relates to texting's inherently imitate quality. Texts are usually sent to a smaller group of people than you call, and for those people that you do text, it is probably a semi-regular occurrence. So when you are in that beloved "Select SMS Contact" box, as you begin to type in a name, the most frequently selected contacts should come first. Noah Stern should come before Nagi Sizuki and Nathan Pezeshki. I only BBM Nathan anyway; why should I have to read his name and scroll past it each time? (Other than that I love my cousin so much :) )


So, RIM, please make it faster for us to select contacts to by cutting out the extra steps and by making it possible to chose names based on frequency of selection.



Sincerely,




Tara Raffi

Efficiency Enthusiast


--

No comments:

Post a Comment