Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Matchstick Message #28: If I don't want it to load, that means don't load it, please

fromTara Raffi
toStudent Information Requests
dateWed, Feb 9, 2011 at 11:43 PM
subjectMatchstick Message #28: If I don't want it to load, that means don't load it, please



Dear RIM,


Last weekend, while enjoying the delicious pastrami sandwich of the new Wise Sons Deli (if you live in San Francisco you just became very lucky) Scott and I discussed how we use Blackerry's Browser application.




<--- Scott!!


Browser ---->













Aside from reaching agreement that the almost only practical functionality of the browser is to conduct Google searches of quick facts, and that Google was the homepage of both of our phones, it was interesting to find out that Scott, like me, is a regular user of the "Go To..." Browser menu option. This is because it is a place where you can access all of your bookmarks (for the few other things you use the browser for) and, more importantly, you have direct access to a Google/Wikipedia/Bing/etc. search bar.


This is how it normally works: I open my browser, and I immediately press Menu and then Go To... because why would I wait for the Google homepage to load just so I can type in my search query and then wait AGAIN for the results, when I could simply type my query in at the Go To... page and only wait once?? But problem is this: even after I hit Go To..., the homepage keeps loading anyway!!! WHY?!?! I pressed Go To... !!!!!! I don't want to go to my homepage!!!!


What usually ends up happening is I race against the speed of the loading of my homepage (the only time I am thankful for its sluggishness) and sometimes I'm almost finished typing into the search bar in the Go To... page, when the Google homepage pops up, in a smug mocking of my inability to type on this tiny keyboard fast enough.


So please, when I specifically go to my menu and press Go To..., that means that I DO NOT want to go to my homepage, so please don't load it anyway.



Sincerely,




Tara Raffi

Racing Enthusiast


--

No comments:

Post a Comment