Thursday, February 17, 2011

Matchstick Message #30: This Is Not A Work Number!

fromTara Raffi
toStudent Information Requests
dateThu, Feb 17, 2011 at 1:26 AM
subjectMatchstick Message #30: This Is Not A Work Number!



Dear RIM,


Why are all the numbers I put into my address book automatically designated as "Work" numbers?


I know, this is a phone for business men, but still, it is just logically unnecessary to designate something when there are no other things to distinguish it from. And for the majority of contacts in my phonebook (if yours is different then you may be more popular, or less) I would say that I only have one number with which to reach them.


Maybe, if you want to add a second number for a specific contact, THEN you should designate the first one as Work. But until that point, usually you know by the nature of the person you are trying to contact whether you would have their Work or Mobile or Home number. If you don't know, then it probably doesn't matter that much anyway. Or you can correct your mistake once you have woken their mother up at inappropriate times of the morning.


Until then, its just extra effort or confusion for those of us who have more friends than colleagues. As a young BlackBerry, I used to try snip the number from Work and graft it to Mobile... but that was too much work. Today, I just inwardly lament the waste of space on my screen every time I see the word Work, and sometimes, when I'm lucky, one of my non-BlackBerry friends will turn to me and say, "Why do you have his Work number?!" And then I get to laugh and explain to them this WhackBerry post that has been spoken so many times and only just now committed to the internet.


So please, it doesn't make sense to program a phone to make mistakes, so just let us decide for ourselves if we want to put a label on the numbers.



Sincerely,



Tara Raffi

Correctness Enthusiast


--

No comments:

Post a Comment