Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Matchstick Message #32: The Field Is Not Full!!

fromTara Raffi
toStudent Information Requests
dateWed, Feb 23, 2011 at 3:44 PM
subjectMatchstick Message #32: The Field Is Not Full!!



Dear RIM,


We are all very familiar with the unfortunate reality that text messages can only contain about thirty words at a time, and in the event that you actually need to convey important or detailed information, you can expect for your recipient to receive multiple messages, twenty seconds apart, and often in the wrong order.


My message tonight is not about character limits in text message transmission; the problem is that there is a character limit when we are composing the message!! (Note: this happens with Sprint BlackBerrys, and may not occur with other providers. Regardless, it should never be allowed to happen.)


Last week I wrote a text message to my friend's mom to assure her that her son's new apartment in San Francisco was safe and clean etc., and I was just halfway through my message when I was alerted "Field Full"! No its not!! The field is defined by you, RIM, and can be as large as you want it to be!


Its bad enough that the text message is received in parts, but must we be forced to also write it in parts? In the case above, I drafted my text in MemoPad and then copied parts into the field in chunks until I reached the limit, and then sent it in batches. The alternative choice is to write half of it, send that, then write the second part. Both are ridiculous. The indestructible Nokia I got as my first phone in 2003 could fit 12 times as much as I can on now what is supposedly a "smart" phone.


So, in the absence of improvements in technology that allow us to send text messages with more than three sentences, at least ease our pain and allow us to draft messages with as many words as we need to express ourselves. You do the dirty work :)



Sincerely,




Tara Raffi

Expression Enthusiast


--

2 comments:

  1. You'd be so happy to know that the recent Blackberry OS builds for the past few weeks now have this feature - it allows for 7 sms worth of text to be sent before the "field is full"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to know, glad it was fixed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete