Thursday, March 31, 2011

Matchstick Message #39: Mutation!


fromTara Raffi
toStudent Information Requests
dateWed, Mar 30, 2011 at 6:08 PM
subjectMatchstick Message #39: Mutation!



We all know the experience of awe when we come across nature's beautiful mutations: four-leaf clovers, people with one blue eye and one green, pink stretch Mini's, etc. Well I experienced a similar phenomenon a few weeks ago while texting my friend Jack.


It happened like this:

I typed my message. Then I pressed Send. The text appeared on my screen... but with a red exclamation point next to the "Sent" checkmark!!! It was just out of nowhere!! For no apparent reason at all, BlackBerry had produced for me a unique and rare appendage to my text message. Not only have I never seen this in any menu (which would be more helpful than most of what we have there now), but I've never even received a text marked like that! Since when had SMS ever given us the capability of marking messages as "Important"?? (You're as awed by this as I am, right?)





As cool as this is, the problem is that I have no idea how it happened. Was it a malfunction? Did I hit some random combination of keys that triggered it? Did BlackBerry know that my message was typed with intense passion? Or perhaps, like in a video game, I had sent enough text messages that I had unlocked a new level with cool new weapons?


In the weeks since this earth-shattering experience, I have still not solved the mystery of the exclamation mark. So, do you mind telling us how to mark our text messages as Important? Likewise, if there are other hidden tricks, a manual (n., a book of instructions, esp. for operating a machine or learning a subject) would be useful. If the human genome is been mapped, certainly this could be possible too.



Sincerely,




Tara Raffi

Mutation Enthusiast


--


No comments:

Post a Comment